Question

awla

receiving threats - where to report?
I applied for a loan years ago and was denied. This would have been back in 2012. In 2014, they reached out to me with threats about paying them. I informed them I was denied and never received the money. They threatened to take "legal action." I had a different bank, so I told them I would investigate. Things got crazy, I never followed up and they said they'd "meet me in the courthouse."

I was searching old emails today and came across this exchange. Their email was DEFINITELY threatening and some info they said - even if they DID give me a loan, seems entirely false. They said I'd be unable to receive any benefits - which may or may not be true. I don't have any, which is why I glossed over that. They then proceeded to say that "Apart from getting laid off by your current employer after we send them the legal notice you will be blacklisted from getting any job. "

Are there any good places to report this kind of behavior and these communications?

If this is an actual debt collector or creditor and not a scammer they are in violation of the FDCPA big time. The FDCPA stands for Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You should contact a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases and see if you can file a lawsuit against this collector. I highly recommend Kimmel & Silverman if they practice in your state, if not do some Google searching for a law firm that does practice in your state. If the time limit has run out for you to sue them, then you could file a report with the Attorney General of your state as well as the BBB.