Question

richt6

Rebuilding my credit
I am told that when I apply for a credit card and am turned down it affects my rating. Is this true? I ahve poor credit and am on my feet financially. Attempting to rebuild before I am six feet under.

Most Helpful Response

Try secured credit card

When you apply for a credit card (or any kind of loan), credit grantor will pull a hard inquiry on your credit report before they make a decision. That's why you always get your score lowered no matter the decision is an approval or a denial. In the case you are approved, using the card properly (maintain good balance and always pay in full on time) will boost your score back and surpass the old score. Credit Karma has statistics on average and highest score of those who applied and got a particular card. You can use that info to search for the most suitable card for you to apply. If your credit score is low, 600 or less, I would suggest you try to apply for a secured card first.