Question

Skinutz

Reaging after paid in full.
I went through a financially messy divorce. She managed the finances (somewhat, mistake). Anyway I am trying to rebuild credit. I have two bad marks I am working with. One if from a utility ($207) and the other is medical (multiple, same creditor, totaling $102). They are both in collections and on the report for 6.5 years. I don't mind paying off both to 100%, at 1 time. I am concerned that if I do, the account will get re-aged for another 7 years. I want to do the right thing, but not if it is going to penalize me for another 7 years.

At the ages of the debts you posted, it is likely they are now uncollectable. Do a search for "Statute of Limitations on Collections" and see what it is for your state.  In most states, it is 6 years or less.  If that is the case where you live, just let these sit as they are and they will soon fall off your credit report.

Any activity on an old collection like that runs the HIGH risk of reaging and making it current and doing serious damage. Let them fall off in six months.

Absolutely noting restarts the 7 1/2 years reportable periord!... If those collections approaching 7 years? give Credit Bureaus a call to see if they are willing to do a "Early Exclusion", you might have to call back few times and or ask for a supervisor, some front line CSR honestly might not know what you are talking about. TransUnion is pretty easy, it generally willing to remove it 6 months early if you request it, Equifax usualy 3 months, Experian most likely would be a fat NO, however Ex might remove it 6 years and 9 months on their own.