Question

JeauBear

Re: Tackling Items in Collections on Credit Report
Hello Everyone! I currently have two items on my Credit Report that are in collections. One is about to fall off however, one is rather current, (due to divorce) and I plan on calling the collection agency to try to strike a deal with them in order to get the item removed from my CR. The debt is for $245.00, so for those who have experience with this, I'd like to find out the lowest possible offer these agencies would usually take for a debt in this amount? I'd like to be able to pay it off all at once, should they agree in writing to report the debt Paid In Full... Any and all help is so greatly appreciated! This community has been really helpful! Thank you all! ^_^

Most Helpful Response

ideally you don't want them to report it paid in full, ideally you want them to remove it! tell them you will settle the debt for it's FULL amount, if they agree to a "pay for deletion". this means they will remove it like it never happened. this will be in your best interest, and will be worth the relatively small amount of 245$. 

As pennstate said, you want to get the collections REMOVED, not just marked as paid. A paid collection is still a collection on your credit reports. Even if they tell you they will not do a "pay for delete" keep calling back and trying to get a different rep, write letters to them, etc. Don't give in and pay it, you have leverage now, if you simply pay it, you have none.

JeauBear

Hello pennstate04! Thank you so much for your reply, I really do appreciate it! ^_^ In your experience, do collection agencies usually agree to a Paid For Deletion? And if I do get them to agree, how would u recommend I go about getting the agreement that ensures I'm also protected by the law? Or something that legally not bounds them to remove it? Sorry if I'm pestering you, =P I'm just working so hard to get my credit back to where it was, my soon to be ex husband truly ruined my credit and now I'm busting my *** to correct it again and move on with my life. Thanks again!