Question

DCTN

re-aged fraudulant collection account
Long story short, my ex-husband passed away in Aug. of 2008. At this time I found out his ATT&T cell phone was somehow in my name. I never knew about it let alone authorized or approved it. I decided to just let it fall off my credit, because I had no information (proof) the account wasn't mine. Only att&t could prove it was mine by supplying a signed contract etc. (which obviously they could not have). However, since the burden of proof was on me, (which I had none because it was never my account)... I decided to just ignore it and let it fall off. Now, EOS CCA (a collection agency) has re-aged the debt. It shows opened on Aug 13, 2012 (4 years after my ex-husband passed away and around the date the account went delinquent). What can I do to get this debt, that was never mine, off my credit?

1st are you sure that they re-aged the debt or is Aug 13, 2012 the date that EOS acquired the debt? Now, if EOS is saying that the initial missed payment (DOFD) leading to the collection occured on Aug 13, 2012 then yes it would appear that they re-aged it. If they did re-age it you should consult with a consumer law attorney, most will give you a free consultation and many will work at no cost to you. If you misread the report and they didn't re-age it this should be due to fall off your report if it isn't due to fall off already. Is ATT&T reporting anything on your reports? If they are, when does it say the account become delinquent? Also keep in mind that the credit bureaus will remove some things prior to the 7 year fall off date. Transunion is known to remove things up to 6 months early and Experian and Equifax will "sometimes" remove things up to 3 months early, this is known as "Early Exclusion". I hope this information helps.