Question

jacktalon

Raising credit score with debt in collections
I have a lot of old credit card debt that is sitting in collections. I tried to get it paid off, but I was never able to, and it has been there for so long at this point that it is going to fall off in a couple of years, so I am just riding it out. Trouble is, because of my low score, I have a hard time finding apartments and doing other things that check your credit. Would it be worthwhile to start trying to rebuild my credit now, just to get it a little bit better? Right now it is sitting at about 470, if I start taking steps to rebuild it, will it actually go up, or will the debt in collections keep it where it is?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, most definitely start doing what you can now for your rebuild. Start with a Secured credit card or loan and go from there. Get positive information added to your reports. While the collections will hold you back, the sooner you start on this the better, putting it off will be putting off good credit even further down the road.