Question

KennQ

Raising Credit Limit Over paying down a card over 30%
I was under the impression that if my utilization is under 30% of my limit on a credit card it would bring my score up. I have a card that I know will take me a couple months more than I’d like to pay off so I asked to have my limit raised and poofff, my score went down by 20 points. Explain that one to me please. If I'm credit worthy of a decent increase why would my score go down? How long before it goes back up?

Credit Increase

Your credit increase may or may not have caused a hard inquiry.  That would've been the case with my Chase account; I asked if raising my limit would constitue a hard inquiry, the rep said yes, and I told them no thanks.

The hard inquiry would definitely hit your credit score hard early.  However, the long-term effects should have subsided and stabilized.

Your credit score might have been good enough to get you the raise, but it would definitely take a hit if the credit bureaus think you're extending your limit just to get under the 30% ratio.