Question

srasmussen86

questions about credit card balance transfer
I want to open a 0% credit card with american express so I can transfer a balance from my chase credit card. Will this affect my credit score?

"Generally" and "Depends" are two words should come with any credit advice.

-

Generally, any active on your credit report have potential impacting/affecting your credit scores for better or worse.

-

Will it? Depends, your score would most likely to drop with inquiry and new account, however it might be offset by lowering your utilization or worsen the impact by higher utilization. Example if your current card have 3k balance and limit is 5k then you have 60% utilization, when you transfer 3k to the new card with only 4K limit? Now your utilization would be 75%, your score will drop further. However if new card has 10k limit? Then your utilization would be only 30% and that can offset the impact of inquiry and new account, might even gain few points.

-

Personally, I would do what's better for my financial health then my credit score health, I don't mind my score dropping in the short term, if I can pay off my balance sooner with no/less interest. You will get your score back up in time but you can't get the interest you paid back.