Question

stv1520

Question regarding denied credit
Hi all- recently I applied for an HH Gregg financing online. One of the identity verification questions had to do with an ex-girlfriend I had 20 years ago, and where she had lived recently. Of course, I had no clue where she has lived recently. (While together we both wrecked our credit with awful financial decisions. But we were 20 years old!) Anyway- I got the HH Gregg denial letter in the mail, and it listed the reason for denial of credit as an identity verification problem. So- is this bad? Was it because I had no clue about my ex? Do I re-apply? What should I do about this?
Thanks

Write a letter

Chances are you are listed somewhere as having a joint account sometime in the past. Most likely a utility or some other joint account. 

Write to the company explaining that you are not associated with her (give details as to when your relationship ended etc.) and that you want that information removed and would like them to reconsider..  Also since you were denied, send copies of the letter to the 3 credit reporting agencies asking that any joint info be removed because it should have aged out. , Also request copies of your credit report.  They should be free since you were denied.

I can say that it will work for this credit line, but it should help keep it from coming up again.

In addition to EddyTX's excellent advice, I would recommend you review your complete credit report to make sure she doesn't show up anywhere else.  Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull your report from one of the bureaus and dispute anything that looks suspicious or is incorrect.  Best of luck!