Question

JustAUsername

question on old debt past statue of limitations & pre approvals with same bank
Hello. I keep getting pre approvals from capital one for a card. 10 years ago I had a capital one card and charged $200 on it and ended up owing them close to $800 due to over the limit fees late fees and interest. Today I am much more responsible then when I was 18 or 19. To get to the point, both the statue of limitations has passed per Illinois law to collect on the old debt and it has also fell off my credit report. If I accept this pre approval offer can capital one harass me about the old debt and/or charge the old debt to the new card and/or add it back on to my credit report? I am trying to open another account or two to increase the number of accounts to help my score a bit more. Any help is appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Capital 1 is experienced in sub-prime

If your card was really charged off and already fell off your credit report as an old debt, Capital One will give you a new card without thinking about that old one.  And if a collection company contacts you about the old debt, just advise them that you will not respond to old debts, and ask them to cease and desist in writing; ultimately they can’t do anything to you. 

Capital One is actually a spin-off of a company called Signet Banking Corporation (originally called the Morris Plan Bank of Richmond, Virginia) and were one of the first 'sub-prime' lending companies ever.  The company originated in 1922, with a new way of lending to less than qualified people.  Originally founded by Arthur J. Morris, Morris Plan banks filled a growing niche in the communities of the early 1900s, providing loans to individuals who were generally unable to secure funds elsewhere. It was said that any consumer who could offer two cosigners or collateral and was of "good character" qualified for a Morris Plan loan.

I tell you this because you need to understand that the company has almost 100 years of experience in high risk lending.  It's the basis of their culture.  They lend to a TON of high risk credit lines in hopes that the losses will be outmatched by the ones that don’t default and actually pay off.  They pretty much have it down to a science in that time.  So wasting time, effort, and money to capture a portion of old debts is something they generally don’t practice.  If your balance was charged off, they will generally just move on.  And since their business model demands that they create more and more positive accounts to outmatch the bad ones, they will even extend a new chance at credit with you again.  So I say go for it.

JustAUsername

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the help.