Question

mrawsum1

Question about removing underage debt on my report
I have 2 Medical bills listed as in collections, however, at the time of the debt, I was both underage, and on my parents insurance. How can I go about having these removed? I have already used my free annual credit report several months ago.

You can dispute.

You can try "Validation Letters"  Google it for a template.  Validation letter will force the creditor to prove that you are actually responsible for the debt. They may go ahead and drop the account off your file if the amount is smaller and  the account is older.

Be aware that the creditor may go after your parents for these charges as they were probably co-pays for the insurance. If they weren't co-pays and the amount is large then your parents may have to go back to the insurance company to see if they can get the insurance co to pay them. 

Just make sure you advise your parents that these are coming at them so that they can deal with it right away and not jepordize the scores. 

Good Luck