Question about Old Debt/ Marks on my Credit
I recently, about 5 months ago, decided to check out my credit and signed up for credit karma. When I signed up I was completely flabbergasted to see that my credit score was in the low 500's and that I had 4 accounts that were in collection. I started to call around and realized that all of theses accounts were opened around the same time back in December 2007, which is the same time a I had two instantaneous of identity theft (one bad checks from a closed account and the other a credit card) that were caught. After calling the companies one of the accounts was wiped off my credit report but I am still dealing with the other three.
One of the accounts is Macy's, the other is Chase and one is for a car. I sent a letter to Macy;s and they seem to be willing to remove the mark of my account.
My question is that for the other two account since they are so old and seem to be uncooperative, should I just wait for them to "disappear" on their own? I know that after several years they are removed from your credit report. I purchased a car and have a credit card and have never missed a payment for the last 6 months, raising my score to 603.
I would like to buy a home in the future and want good credit before I do so.