Question

antsspecv

Question about judgements
In the past 6 months I have had two judgements go onto my credit. Here's the deal, they aren't because of me. I was helping someone in my family out by signing a lease for an apartment and putting the electric bill in my name because their credit was so bad that they couldn't get the apartment and would have to pay what they owed previously on the electric bill. I was not aware of either of these not being paid and in risk of a judgement until I checked my credit and saw that they were on there. Is there any possible way I can get this removed from my credit? In the state I live in, Virginia, this will stay on my credit for 10 years.

Unfortunate result of cosigning.

When you signed your name to the accounts for family, you were, basically, co-signing the account, or agreeing to be the one responsible for the payment in case they did not live up to their part of the bargain.  Unfortunately, it looks like they didn't and your name is now trashed for a few years.

You may have to take said relative to small claims court to get the accounts paid and get the court to order that only the relative's name be on the accounts from now on.  Do get your name off the accounts ASAP because it looks llike ths family member is irresponsible and ungrateful.

Contact all three agencies letting them know that the courts do not verify civil judgements.  The agencies get this information from third parties which is not legal. They must verify with originators and the courts simply do not have the time or staff to verify all judgements.   Unless they can prove that they verified directly with the court they must remove from your report.  Be sure to contact all three agencies.  So far I've been able to get two of them to remove my record by calling them out on not verifying with the court.