Question

Nicomachea

Putting significant other on my credit card account
My significant other has no credit history -- he paid his own way through higher education, paid cash for his car and has never had any credit cards, etc. A few questions:

(1) WIll AmEx allow me to add him to my account given his lack of credit history?

(2) If I'm allowed to add him, will that help establish a credit history for him?

(3) What should I be aware of by adding him to my account? We're both well-established professionals with post-grad degrees and have lived together for a while, so we're not in the struggling post-college crowd. I'm also not concerned about any possible lack of responsibility on his part. I'm more interested in, for instance, what effect it could have on credit.

Thanks!

You can add anyone as an authorized user to any of your credit card accounts, just call the creditors.  This is a great way to establish a credit history for him; smart thinking!