Question

LK66021

Protecting myself from ID Theft after a security breach
I just received a notice from an entity with which I do business, and to which I was required to provide my SSN in order to be paid. (I have a sole proprietorship and no TIN.) The entity has had a security breach of their files, and since my SSN was in there, I am at a higher risk for identity theft. If there's any good news, I have moved twice since then and all of the bank info and so forth associated with that account is incorrect. What steps should I take to guard against or be watchful for potential identity theft? Beyond monitoring my credit reports like a hawk...

Most Helpful Response

Possibly enact a "fraud alert"

I was notified of a security breach several years ago and the entity involved enacted a fraud alert in behalf of all who may be affected by this breach.  What that does is require any potential creditor to notify you of any application for credit using your SSAN.  Don't know if there was a charge for this, but the alert was on for 3 years.  You might want to check with all 3 credit bureaus to see what procedure is for this. 

I hope your information was not compromised.