Question

sumidara

Problem with Pay Pal
Someone put money they owed me into my Pay Pal account. After it pended, I moved it to my bank account. Few days later without contacting me, Pay Pal took the money out of my bank account. When I called and asked why, they said it was a mistake and after another 3 days I once more put it into my bank account where it was used to pay monthly bills. A few days later I received an email from Pay Pal saying I owed them $1200 dollars because the bank where it had come from said it was fraud and Pay Pal had sent them the money back. Turns out the person paying me the money had sent it from a business account and her boss had just caught her stealing. Pay pal again took the money back out of my account, but my bank disputed it and Pay Pal sent it back. I have started to send Pay Pal payments, but I don't think I should be responsible since they never made me aware of why they were taking the money out of my bank account. Anything I can do short of suing and getting a subpoena for their voice tapes with them telling me it was their error?

This is why I don't use PayPal. Your situation is tricky since PayPal is not a bank, and so it isn't subject to the same rules and regulations that a bank is. I'm afraid you're either stuck with paying them, or you can try to take them to court (small claims). Not much else you can do in the way of options.

To anyone that does use PayPal, it is best to leave the deposited money alone for at least a week or two before spending it, if only to avoid stuff like this.