Question

brytdom15

Pre approved turns into Hard Inquiry?
I received a pre approved credit application in the mail. Given that I have never had a credit card, I thought this one would actually be approved. Unfortunately it only showed up as another hard inquiry. Someone please exlain why?

I have a similar question. I'm trying to restablish my credit, but if I get another card it will be a hard inquiry, thus bringing my score down. Plus it remains on there for like a year. How is this helpful in the grand scheme of things?

Pre-Approved Cards

The only thing certain about pre-approved credit is that if you take advantage of the offer, you WILL get a hard inquiry on your report.

Most Helpful Response

Pre Approved

Usually when you receive a pre qualified or pre approved offer the lender has pulled a soft inquiry and qualified you for the offer. Once you apply for the card, it becomes a hard inquiry as the lender will pull a credit report to actually extend credit.  As many have found out, a pre approved application gives you a high chance of getting the card but does not guarantee it. 

Pre-approved credit cards

I received a letter in the mail for a pre-approved credit card and I sent the offer letter by mail which they approved me for but I do not see that credit card company on my credit factors. Which is a good thing. I just received another pre-approved offer from another credit card but I am scared it will be on my hard inquiry list if I submit the offer. I am a little confused because the first offer I sent in did not pop up. Does it have to do with being approved and not being approved? 

If you don't want to get these offers in the mail in the future, go to www.optoutprescreen.com and "opt out".

danifilth

The problem is not getting preapproved offers, it's the fact that my score goes down if I do so.