Question

questionabletenant

Potential Landlord Access to CreditKarma?
My potential landlord has asked for access to my Credit Karma account. I want to know if this is legal for him to ask or if I should direct him to another website to pull my credit report off of.

He didn't ask for an application fee to run a credit report, so I think he may be trying to keep it free. If this isn't a wise decision on my part (which I'm thinking it really isn't), is there certain information that I could offer him from my credit karma account or just print out a full credit report for him?

Thanks for the help!

It is legal for a landlord to run a credit check, however, I don't believe it would be legal to demand access to an online account. He probably is just trying to save you both some money by asking to check your credit via Credit Karma. I would ask if he would accept a printout of your reports rather than giving him access to your account, or if you have a mobile device, maybe you could open up your account and show him your reports when you are both together. All in all, none of it probably matters anyway as you would have to give him your social security number going the traditional route and that is the most valuable piece of information that you hold. Ask him what he will accept and only give him what you are comfortable with or move on and find a new landlord.