Question

kiznick

Post Bankruptcy Inaccuracies
I did a bankruptcy last year (Ch 7). Since then the only debts I have each month are paid in full including my utilities, rent, cell phone, and tv. I have one credit card that I've made multiple payments on each month. I keep finding that I'm pre approved and then denied for some reason when I apply for any credit. I've also noticed that Credit Karma is presenting me with information that is way outdated, and I check my credit reports they are fine. Something is happening in the credit approval/disapproval process that is making me think that they are getting way out dated information. This is getting so frustrating. I've informed each credit bureau where things are wrong, but even with all of that there should be zero reasons for Credit Karma to say (for example) that I have a bunch of derogatory remarks, or that I have any missed payments on...wth?!

Nothing is wrong. It's your history.

You filed a bankruptcy because you couldn't get the bills paid and you were over your head in debt.  But those debts are some you had taken on and the credit was granted in good faith.  When you filked a bankruptcy, they didn't get the money they loaned you (and that is really what credit is--a loan) and they weren't going to get it.  So they are not going to write good things on your credit report. They are going to put that you missed payments, were consistently late, whatever happened.

This is part of your credit history and the federal regulation known as the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that this information be posted on your credit report for at least 7 years.  The bankruptcy will stay for 10 years.  There is nothing that can be done to change what is there.

You can improve your credit from now on by being consistent in making all payments on all accounts and making sure to keep your debt within a realistic level, paying off debts as quickly as possible. Only you can really control your spending.