Question

cmh444

Possible to fix poor credit?
A few years ago I was unemployed and suddenly thrown into a midst of a divorce and really down on my luck. I had to take on some of the marital debt. My unemployment ran out a few months later and I hadn't found a full time job yet. I had no choice but to enroll with a debt settlement company. I've been back to work full-time for 18+ months now and can pay my bills again. The company has settled almost all my debts that were enrolled (with the exception of 2 fairly small ones). If I write to each of the companies (Trans Union, Equifax, etc.) about the situation will that help improve my credit score or do they even care what the situation was? I've been paying all my bills on time since getting back to work.

Writing to the credit bureaus explaining your situation would be a waste of time, they do not care about situations and the numbers and information on your reports are based on facts. There are many and I mean many ways to improve a poor credit score/profile. Designate a couple hours per day for the next month or two reading all that you can on the internet on how to improve credit scores. Feel free to ask more detailed questions about different parts of credit building along the way on here.