Question

maggiealmalee

Possible stolen mail, what precautions should I take?
I rent a room from a retired woman and her daughter sometimes does and sometimes does not also live here. The daughter keeps somewhat sketchy company and I noticed the other day that I received another junk-mail credit card offer. It was sitting where my landlady normally leaves my mail. Usually I take all my mail into my room which I keep locked. This day I left it there for a while. Anyway when I came back the credit card junk-mail offer wasn't there. Now, I could be wrong and it may have never been there but in the event this daughter or her even sketchier boyfriend took it, what precautions should I take? I've set up alerts for changes to my credit, anything else?

Get a PO Box

IF you do not have 100% control over your mail, get a PO Box.  Why take chances?  

Pay close attention to those "Junk Mail" credit offers.  They can be some of the best credit offers available. They contain enough info for someone to open accounts in your name, or worse yet change your info, like addresses and contact info.   

If you are really concerned, You can put a "Freeze" on your credit report. Then no one but your creditors will have access to your credit report.  It costs about $10 for each Credit Bureau and it will cost to get it lifted when you are planning to apply for credit.