Question

FIXINGMYCREDIT1970

portfolio recovery

Most Helpful Response

Before even agreeing to any payment agreement, send a letter to them requesting validation of the debt.  FYI-they have to send you a copy of any paperwork you signed agreeing to be responsible for the debt.  Don't mention that in your letter because they KNOW what is required.  If they can't send the proper validation, you don't pay.

That company is one that has questionable ethical standards.

old debt

Hello. I have been contacted by Portfolio Recovery regarding an old debt. they are relentless and I have never acknowledged this is my debt.  

This debt is from 2012 and  and although mine does not appear on my credit report.  The amount is not a large amount ($600). 

My question is as follows :

1. If i agree to pay off the debt $500 and will be marked as "paid in full"  will it then show up on my report. Is it better to let it aloen until it shows up?

2. Since this is not on my report and if I pay will it then show up and damage my credit ?

3. Should I just let it go since after all this time it has not appeared on my credit report?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

If you can pay it all off at one time, and you can get Portfolio to agree to not place it on your credit reports in exchange for your payment in full, then I would consider paying it. You said that Portfolio has be relentless, have they been harassing you? Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) and see if they are violating your rights while they break the law. If so, you should contact an attorney and keep record of all communications from them (letters, caller ids, etc).