Question

LAngela83

Portfolio Recovery
New debt?

Most Helpful Response

Portfolio Recovery is a scumbag debt collector that is often referred to by terms that are best not used.

Don't Acknowledge Unknown Calls

The best way to avoid the mentioned outfit is not to answer any phone numbers you don't know, bec once you admit to them your identity, they can use that info to confirm the old debt they bought from original creditor is yours and will begin collection efforts AGAIN against you.
Your state has a statute of limitations for debt collection relief that prevents the original creditor from continuing collection efforts that have already burdened the debtor in their inability to pay the debt.
Check consumerfinance.gov for the complaints about port(puke)folio and the investigation against it and the penalties assessed to it. Don't use the parenthetical (puke) in the word search.

Dispute it with every agency that the mark appears on. Be sure to send them a copy of proof that you paid the thing off.

Sorry ... First time here

I don't really know how these boards are set up but my question about it .... I received an alert that Portfolio Recovery marked me into collections . It is supposedly from a capital one account I owned 5 years ago . The problem with this is that I paid it off and I currently have a new capital one card that's in good standing . I'm mad because it dropped my score 40 points . I currently have 4 accounts in excellent standing . This "collections account" was opened in November of 2015 . Seriously? I disputed it and I'm awaiting results. Anyone else have issues with this?