Question

Samsam120809

poor credit history
I just realized the first credit card I ever had from 1993 has dropped off my credit report due to no use in 7 years. I didn't have another credit card after that until 2006 so my credit history is giving me a grade of D. Would it be a good idea to have the company send me a new card and use it so my credit history will be much longer? The account is inactive not closed so I'm thinking if I use the card it will add 13 years to my history and raise my credir score, is that correct?

Most Helpful Response

You will have to ask them if it's truly inactive or if it's closed.  If they did close it, opening another one would basically act as if it were a brand new one, making your aging even newer/worse.  If it is inactive, I would see if you can reactivate and use it as soon as possible.  Maybe use it once or twice a year and pay in full so that it remains active.  But definitely clarify with them if it is still "inactive" or closed.  Most companies will close them, not just inactivate them after that length of time of no use.

Thank you

The company confirmed it was inactive (not closed)and mailed me a new card without going through a credit process. I am hoping once I use it my score will increase!