Question

Mandoneedshelp

PLEASE READ AND HELP! THANK YOU
Okay so I have good scores (761 and 757) but I am looking to raise my score. I currently have 10 accounts (5 open, 5 closed) and 6 hard inquires. 5 of those inquires will be removed in Feb 2017 which will raise my score. BUT I am wondering, is it a bad idea to get new hard loans, maybe 2 a year (since "lenders generally like seeing several varying accounts suggesting that other lenders have trusted me". Since that will bring my hard inquires to 3 ( not horrible) I know it will affect my score at first but in the long run, it should help right??

My other question is, I will keep the account open for very little (cut it as soon as I get it) then close the account ( just to add accounts) ... I know age is an important factor, when I close an account, does it no longer affect the "age" of my accounts?
As mentioned, I know this will affect me short term but think it makes sense long term?
Sorry I hope I make sense. Please help. Thank you!

I have had as high as 14 hard inquires,  Just don't do all the lines of Credit at one time,   Spread things out over time. Have A Plan!. 

I have about 18 open lines of Credit 

1 - HELOC  Home Line of Credit   just sitting, do not owe anything on it.

1 - Car Loan - owe 8k , but have the cash to pay it off if  I wanted to. 

16 - Credit Cards only use one thats in my wallet and it's always paid off 300 dollars on just the one.,  the rest owe 0 balance on. 

Now to play the Credit card game I send 1.25 payment to the other 15 Credit cards 2 months in a row,   they send my money back and  then I repeat the process.  It counts as payments for the payment history ( 15 a month add up quick ) and I get the statemens in the mail to make sure no fraud is happening on the account and for my peace of mind. 

Never Close your accounts,  You want History ,  Long Term History. 

The only accounts you want to close would be ones where you pay either a monthly or Yearly fee of some sort. 

Hope this helps out.

Most Helpful Response

Long term, closing the accounts hurts, and some FICO models ONLY look at open accounts and some include closed, so only a specific lender could tell you. So I would keep any open as long as you can to show versatality and growing age of accounts. I would look at opening credit card lines, and only use them once or twice a year paying full amount due the next statment so you do not pay any interest and keep usage low.

Having three inquiries is not bad, and even after a few months they have smaller impact.  Today I had one of three fall off.  My score only went up 3 points (828 to 831). My point being is that most of the lower score from inquiries rectifies itself in a few months (provided you do not have excesive inquiries)

You are wise to be looking long term, as credit score is not a short term game.  The only time you need to worry about short term is when you are looking to get a car or home loan, then you want to be driving down, or at least not adding to, these types of things for a year prior to the purchase.

Mandoneedshelp

Thank you nomadre. Very helpful. You're right. I will keep the credit lines open and pay off in full each month. Appreciate your help.