Question

poppapuff

Please help ... Needed a path to better credit
I suffered a fire with no insurance and lost everything but our car ... The short of it is my family and I are fine and stronger than ever. the house was beyond repair and my credit is the only thing that looks worse than the house. The fire was late 2005 and it was a long uphill climb. My score is 557 .... I know that's very poor but I've worked hard to get there it might sound bad but I'm proud that I've bounced back to achieve just this much of our former lives ..... I have a car loan 6/2012 ..... $2000 secured credit card I pay in full every month 9/2012 and some paid off accounts from Arron's about 5 the low was $147 the high $2600 .... I have late pays and paid in full charge offs that really and hard inquires that hit my score hard .... Is there a simple easy step by step set of goals or to do list for me ( under educated and uninformed working working stiff ) I'm not looking for a way to cheat or skirt the system ..... Any help would be most appreciated
Thanks

Better Credit Possible

Sorry to hear about the fire, especially that you were uninsured.  OUCH!!!  Now for rebuilding.  FYI, I've had to do a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and lived on a VERY low disability, so know some about having to rebuild. 

One important thing to do is to make regular monthly payments on any accounts you may have.  You do not want any charge-offs or late pays on your record because those work against you.  And do try paying all accounts in full as fast as possible.  Do it one at a time and, when an account is paid off, take whatever you were paying every month on that account and add it to the payment you make on the next account until it's paid off. 

With your low score, it's likely you are paying high interest on your credit accounts, so getting them paid in full will save you money.

It's going to take time.  No quick fixes, but you can do it!!