Personal Loan vs. 0% credit card vs. cash?
I plan to purchase a new computer system later this year and am debating how to finance it in such a way that will improve or at least not hurt my credit score (793). The system I plan to purchase will cost about $5000.

I haven't taken out a loan for over 30 years, but CK tells me that a personal loan would help my credit mix. I don't have many active accounts and all of them are credit cards.

However, I could also take out an 18-month 0% credit card and not have any interest payments (hate paying interest). But then my age of credit would take a direct hit.

Or I could pay cash. But why use cash when I can finance using the company’s dime and let my money keep earning?

Any constructive thoughts on this would be appreciated.

What I would do

I would not worry about a personal loan.... Your score is high enough that it would not make a difference.  But what I would do is open a card that would get miles or cash back.  Something like Chase Freedom Unlimited which would be 0% for 15 months plus a bonus of $150 for $500 spend, plus you would get 1.5% back which would get you another $75.  That way you get your computer at no interest and a extra $575.00 back.  Or you can go for a miles card (There are too many to list) or rewards cards that will give you gift cards and such.  It kind of depends on what you want back.  I like miles myself so most of my cards are centered around that.  But there are a lot of cards out there that you might like.  Kind of depends on what you want and what your spending habits are.

a personal loan is going to be decent interest rate, if you don't like paying interest, forget that option. and i agree, why use cash when you can use their money. a new 0% card does fit the bill. your credit is in a bucket where a few points up or down doesn't really change anything. if you pay the extra interest just to get a better mix on your report, and you get your scores to 825, what did you gain financially over a 798? nothing really. usually over 720 and you're already in the highest tier possible. i think i saw a card that offered 500$ cash for spending 5K in the first 3 months. that might fit your needs nicely.