Question

exnolagirl

Perfect credit since 2009. Previous late payments, never bankruptcy. Why "poor" credit score now?
Paid off mortgage, all credit card debt and a state tax lien of $1,000 after my home sold in early 2009. Now have zero debt of any kind, no mortgage, pay off my one credit card when it arrives. So why score in 600s?? I've been employed almost 40 years, self-employed for past 20.

Most Helpful Response

First, the tax lein is a NEGATIVE on your credit report and will continue for seven years from the date it was paid off.  Unfortunately, you can't change that.  You only have ONE credit card?  A credit score increases when you have MORE available credit even though you are paying very well and apparently using the available credit wisely.  I had three small limit credit cards and only had a FAIR rating.  When I consolidated and received another credit card with higher limit and lower interest, my score went into the GOOD category.

Please read the ARTICLES under Resources on the left side of the page and use the tools on this site so you can learn how to build and maintain a good credit score.  That's what Credit Karma is here for, an online, interactive teaching tool.

Perfect credit since 2009.

Thanks. Most of my purchases are made with my bank debit card - I choose "credit" to gain award points (cash-back feature). Very few with my one credit card, Capital One. Is this unwise? Should I really get more cards?  So annoyed by $1,000 state tax lien - caused by missing ONE month with a payment plan for back state income taxes. No warning, no call, just a tax lien notice filed with court asap.  People file bankruptcy owing tens of thousands - and this measly $1,000 lien, paid off early 09, on my record 7 years?