Question

ianbrie

Per credit karma recommendation I applied for recommended cards and was denied making my score worse
Credit karma recommended a couple of credit cards for me with a highly likely approval. I was declined by both. I don't have bad credit. I just don't have credit cards. Now thanks to Credit Karma my score will go down.

That's typical, happens to many. Don't trust your credit situations with any company. Do the required reading so you can make your own decisions, that is very important. Hard Inquiries only cause slight damage, and they go away in two years, so don't beat yourself up too bad about this. Obviously, either you do not have good credit or you were applying for cards out of your league. Remember that most lenders do not use the scores that you get here (vantage scores) they instead use FICO scores, so the scores that you get here are not giving you a realistic idea of where your credit is truly at. You may need to start out with a Secured credit card or just a basic unsecured card, don't try for reward cards. Capital One is usually a good lender to start with. If you wish you could contact the credit card companies that you applied with and ask if they have any cards that you could be approved for and ask that they use the Hard Inquiry that was already done and not to do another, they may do this for you and they may not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.