Question

Badcredit2017

Payoff higher collection account balances or paying off more collection accounts?

More collection accounts would be better. Also, you goal should be to get them removed, rather than just marked as paid. Do some reading on dealing with collection accounts and on "pay for delete agreements". Don't go into this unknowing or assuming, do your reading first. Many people make mistakes here when they go into it without reading first.

Badcredit2017

I've called most of the agencies but I'm being told due to the age of the accounts (some include legal action) they would only accept payment in full. And on an extremely limited single income it's not possible. I'm also trying to improve my credit score and was looking for the best way possible. Would paying off the highest collection balances or paying off more accounts with the smaller balances be the most beneficial?

I already answered that, more collections closed would be better.