Question

TotalInsanity

Payment History
My Payment History grade is F. 175/184 = 95.11. Even if I make 10 payments on time, I will stay an F. 185/194 = 95.36. I only have a mortgage payment anymore so I can only make 1 payment a month. I have to get to 99% in order to have a B for my Payment History grade. I want my credit back to a respectable level but this almost seems unattainable. What are my options?

Most Helpful Response

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do unless some of the late payments are inaccuratly reported. When I started working on my credit, my payment history has been the biggest issue that I can't do anything about. I tried sending goodwill letters to see if they would remove them as a goodwill gesture since I haven't had a late payment on any account in 4 years, but each refused. I actually only have 6 late payments and even that keeps me at a C, I have several open accounts that I pay on and even then it will take over a year for me to break into B range.  The best thing you can do is review your credit report and see how old your late payments are. They will all fall after after 7 years and you just have to countdown. You can also consider opening a credit card in order charge gas or groceries to each month and pay off in full. If you don't have a credit card, they are very good to have at least one for your credit profile. It will help raise your percentage a little more, but in the end you have to wait for them to drop off.

However, just know the older they get and the better your current payment history is, the less it affects your actual credit score. I got a new car through my credit union, before meeting with them I told the manager about my past payment history and he said anything over 2 years old they hardly consider and at 4 years old mine are hardly a factor at all. My score ended up being close to 750.  Focus on what you can control and build from there, they will hurt less and less as time goes by.