Question

nofear9137

Paying to remove collections from credit report
I contacted a debt collector and told them I will pay in full if they agree in writing to remove it from my credit report. A supervisor told me thats fine but they cant put anything in writing, though he was very nice and professional I explained to him that I can't just take his word and that I would like it in writing. He stated that they do not do this because anything in writing needs to be looked over by lawyers. I told him I can send a letter very basic stating I agree to pay the amount in full in exchange to have it removed from my credit report and all i would need is his signature and he still stated they cant do it. Do I pay and take their word for it or is he just lying so I can pay it?

Most Helpful Response

Depending on your state laws, a verbal agreement may be sufficient. Personally if I were in your shoes, I would pay it and hope that they hold up their end of the agreement because there is really nothing else that you can do. I don't know how you plan to pay, but if you pay by a check or money order, perhaps you could write something in the memo line such as "payment for account deletion from credit bureaus" or something along those lines. What's happening here is very typical as many debt collectors that do actually do pay for deletes will not agree to put anything in writing. As said, I would pay it and hope for the best. If you do it over the phone maybe record the phone call. Whatever you do, do not push them too much or be disrespectful in any away, because that could make them angry and change their minds about doing the pay for delete. Good luck, I hope all works out for you.