Question

BonnieKay

paying on time,not going over limit,have no mortgage or car loan why is my credit not improving?
I have not been late on my credit, paying on time, not going over my limits. I have no mortgage own my home outright, have no car payment anymore paid that off. I cannot understand why my credit score is not improving.

Improving Score

Excellent question!  Unfortunately, for regulatory purposes, Congress still has not taken any measurable steps to reign-in the credit scoring cartel by requiring them to explain in a transparent way just how they calculate consumer scores.  In the eyes of the law, it's still the untamed 1800's in the wild west:  Credit reporting/scoring cartels can do what they want without any oversight or regulation.

Your score is based upon a secret-formula(s) of many things, only a few of which are directly related to the simple question: Does this consumer pay their bills on time, yes or no.  The zip code in which you dwell could be taken into consideration for all we know....  i.e., "Does this consumer fit the profile of someone living in a minority neighborhood?", "Is this one of those people on that side of that town....?", etc....  without the credit cartel being forced by law to show how they score individuals, you'll never know what truly makes your score go up, down, or remain in place.

All you can do is bug and pester your US House of Representatives member, and your two US Senators.  Perhaps one day Congress will awaken and address this issue that impacts such a disproportionately-high amount of our lives.