Question

AhMessica

Paying off young installment loan early?
I've got around 15 accounts, half and half open/closed ranging from 9 yrs oldest to my most recent installment loan of 9 months age. All in good standing, never missed a payment, no derogatory marks, always keep balances below 20% and I'm satisfied with my current score. My aaoc is 2yrs, 10 mos and I'm planning to pay off that young installment loan. I have pretty substantial auto loan and plenty of available credit which I use and pay off regularly. I know there aren't any sort of guarantees in this number game, but since the account is new, do you figure my aaoc -and thus score- will improve or suffer after I pay off the loan?

A couple of points...

first, check on weather there are any fees involved with paying off the loan early.  Many creditors have penalties involved with paying off a loan early to compensate for their loss of income from interest you won't be paying.  Some are designed to pay off when ever you want.  So checkwith the lender on that before going forward so that you know in advance, no one likes that kind of surprise. 

Second, in general there isn't much advantage in paying off early.  You will be better off if your not paying the interest, but it may not be to your advantage, score wise.  The account will show paid, and thats always good. It will continue to show on your credit report for 7 years as a closed/paid account from the date of the last payment.

So The age of your accounts shouldn't suffer, It will still be counted from the date the account was originated, You may lose a few months on the tail end, but by then all your accounts will be much older.