Question

princeadi

paying off outstanding accounts
A third party has taken over my outstanding account from the original debtor. I'd like to pay this account to clean up my credit. Here in NC, can I pay the original debtor or must I now pay the new third party since they took over my outstanding account? Shouldn't my obligation be with the original debtor?

It doesn't matter what state you live in.  Businesses expect debts to be paid as promised and, when they are not, the business gives up trying to collect and sells the debt to a collection agency who tries collecting the debt.  The original creditor writes off whatever was not obtained from the collection agency on their taxes and washes their hands of it. Then the debt belongs to the collection agency.  That is now the party to whom you must pay the debt.