Question

Fantom2993

paying off original creditor
I had decent credit, not great, but not super bad. My transunion credit karma score was 655. I had 0 delinquencies, until last month.

When I cancelled AT&T way back in January, I made my final payment of $98 over the phone. Last week I get a letter from a collection agency saying that I owe $98. I got the letter 10/27, but the letter was dated 9/07. I check my credit karma and it shows the account was listed 9/06 and my Trans Union score is now 591. I call the collection agency and explain the situation, the gal says she'll be glad to try and help me. I tell her I want to just pay the $98, because it's only $98, but I'll only do so if they REMOVE the account, rather than update it as paid, because that won't help bring my score back up. She brings her manager on the line to help me, because she's not sure if they can remove it. So, I explain the situation to him and he says they will NOT remove it, only update as paid. I explain that it's a mistake, and I shouldn't be penalized for it, but I'm still willing to pay it, just to be done with it. After going round and round with the guy, we ended up getting into a shouting match, so it's safe to say, that the call didn't go well. I called AT&T and talk to their collections department. He says if I pay them, they withdraw the account from the collection agency and it will be removed. So, I went ahead and paid it.

So, what are the chances that it will be removed and my credit isn't totally shot? If they withdraw the account from the collection agency as he said they would, will it be removed from my report, or am I stuck with this collection showing for the next 7 years?

Dispute it

File a dispute reason account is paid to original creditor. Provide proof of payment, do it directly with whatever credit bureaus it is listed it, they should remove it. I had the same thing happen, paid original creditor and any collections accounts were removed.