Question

no9to5

Paying off old credit cards
I have several old credit cards that went into collections. I'm now in the position where I can pay these off. After reading all that I can, I know they cannot be removed. My question is, if I pay them off, would it not reduce my credit card utilization, therefore raising my score. Most are under $900 with 1 being around $1000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did they go to in-house collections or were they sold to separate collection companies? If they are in-house collections and the only negative account you see is the original credit card account, then yes, by paying them you will reduce your utilization and it will help your scores and it will also help prevent the accounts from being sold to a separate collection agency which may also pop up on your reports.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If there are separate collection accounts already showing in addition to the original credit card accounts, then a simple dispute would get the original credit card accounts marked as a zero balance.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another plus with paying them is if they are updating frequently it will prevent that and if they are still within the SOL to be sued, then you would prevent yourself from being sued for the debts.

It is hard to get PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENTS with original credit card companies, but it is easier to get PAY FOR DELETES with collection companies.