Question

DAluv1988

paying off loans
Over the past few years, I have been slowly paying off my student loan debt. This would appear to be good for my credit score, yes?
However, when I recently paid off one of my smaller loans, my score went down instead of up because paying off the loan subsequently "closed an account." I understand the logic behind this, since this technically effects the age of my credit line history, and that it is recommended to keep older credit lines active (or at least open) in order to have a positive effect my score. I have only one more loan to pay off, which is the largest one. It will be at least 2-3 more years until I can comfortably pay it off. Is there any way I can avoid the negative effect that paying this off would have on my score? ...or are loan servicing companies obligated to close loan accounts once they are paid off, therefore reporting it to the credit bureaus?

They have to close them when you pay them off. Nothing you can really do there. What you can do is make sure that you have other open accounts so the damage isn't so bad. Start tracking your FICO scores from time to time too.