Question

happyconsumer12

paying off charged off debt advice
I am getting ready to pay some charged off credit card debt. What should I ask the credit card companies to write on my report? (paid in full, paid as agreed etc) and how do I get them to do this? Have them send me a letter with the final balance and the agreement of what to write on my credit report?
Thanks

You don't have to worry about negotiating what will be written on your reports, by law they have to mark the actual status of the account. If you pay the account in full, it will be marked as "paid", if you get a settlement offer and you can pay less to settle the account it would be marked as "settled". "paid" and "settled" are both scored the same. After you either pay in full or settle, it should be updated on your reports within a month or so.

Check out the Statute of limitations on collexctions for your state since it varies, and determine if you need to pay or if they are non-collectable due to expiration of the SOL.  Also learn about negotiating a 'pay for delete' agreement with a creditor.  Both can help your score greatly.