Question

krazychic1117

Paying Collections and Having Them Removed From Credit Report
I have 2 items that are in collections. Both are under 2 years old. I have read several places that if the debts are old and you pay them it doesn't really do anything to help your credit. My question is this, if I negotiate with the collectors to pay off these 2 debts and have them removed from my credit report will it help my credit at all since these are fairly new collections. I'm assuming it will since they are fairly new collections. Any advise or thoughts would be great.

Most Helpful Response

Paying Collections

It will absolutely boost your credit score especially because they are recent accounts. Negotiate a "pay for delete" and make sure you get it in writing before you send any money. This is critical.

Yes, ask or negotiate a pay for delete agreement. This will remove any traces of there ever being a collections on your credit file. Legally they dont have to remove it but its worth a shot, some creditors do and some don't. Good luck my friend.

wrong debt

There is a collecction account on my report that is not mine. I have written to the collection agency, and asked them to send me the documentation showing this debt is mine, and they have not responded. The company who is reporting to the colletion agency is someone I have never heard of, and I know I have not done business with them. question: do these agencies have to show proof of debt? or can they just report it to the credit bureau?

How do I get things removed from report?

I would like to kow how to get closed credit cards and paid in full collections removed from my credit report. HELP!!

How many years does it take to remove a

How many years does it to removed an collection.

YouknowmeasCyn

Most collections remain for 7 years and drop off. However, the debt can be resold to another collection agency and show up again, it is best (when possible) to negotiate a "pay for delete".

jennpoi

what happens is the account gets sold to collections, they hang onto it for a period of 5 years, restarting the date to the beginning making it a "fresh debt", they then try to collect and before the ticket expires they sell it again, so it can take many years for something that should fall off to actually get off. I have requested a couple be removed in my 40's that were from my early 20's

Fix inaccuracy on credit report

I paid (in full) a car loan off in May 2013. I checked my credit report and they reported it, in September 2013, as a charge off of $1691. I disputed it with the credit bureaus and only one responded saying it was accurate because they reported it as a charge off and then I paid it off. I even sent them a cop of the release of lien on the loan (which was dated June 2013). I've written to the creditor and they say it was reported as a charge off because I had been late 120 days at one time. This doens't make sense. How can I get this fixed on my credit report?

Oh I also should have mentioned. these are for both medical debts. Someone told me there is some Medical Relief Act that says they have to remove it from my credit once I pay it. Is that true?

jennpoi

I did not think Medical bills could legally go on our reports?

Medical debts

I have a medical debt from earlier this year that the collection agency refuses to remove from my record even if it is paid in full. Is there any way I can force them to remove the record of the debt from my report?

CVW

jennpoi

this has happened to me

@krazychic- they cannot lie to you and say they will remove it and don't. these calls are recorded and if you have it in writing, all you have to do is send it to the complaint dept to any of the 3 credit bureaus and they will remove it. it can take up to 45 days for it to appear on your reports.

How can they do this?

I was recently turned down for a credit card and their reason was because I have a collection acct. on my report.

How can a Collectionagency report a collection action when I was never told of the debt?

And, why don't they have to have to get some sort of legal action before placing anything derogitory report?

If not, any agency could just place a collection acc.t without any proof of the claim.