Question

tal85

paying an old debt that isnt showing on my open or closed accounts
i got a phone call saying I need to set up a payment for an ld debt from like 2009 but it doesn't show on my open or closed debts what should I do

Hi

Never give any information over the phone and especially NEVER give any bank account information or credit card numbers over the phone to an assumed debt collector. If they call again tell them to send you something in the mail, do not give them your address, if they are who they say they are then they should have it unless you've changed addressess recently and I would still be very cautious in giving out any information including my mailing address to some stranger over the phone.

Do not agree that you owe the debt or that the debt was once yours, agree to nothing and say as little as possible. Odds are that the statute of limitations has expired in your state for them to collect on this debt (if they are indeed an actual debt collector) and they are trying to trick you into setting up an agreement which will restart the clock on the statute of limitations. (as far as I know, I have read different things about clocks restarting)

Be cautious.