Paying a collection that is already off my credit? Need advice please
I recently did a dispute with TransUnion and had all of my medical collections (total 9) removed at once. All of them were paid in full in July of 2012. Some of them were as new as 3 years old to the oldest which was around 6 years old. The collection agency responded with "okay to remove" per TransUnion's customer service agent. I now have zero negative marks on my TU (first time in 10 years). Getting the response I did with TU, I disputed them with Equifax and Experian one week ago. For some reason, there were only 3 on Experian and 5 on Equifax compared to the 9 on TU. Mysteriously today, I get a statement from the Collection company that agreed to remove them advising that I need to pay a $20 collection which I am 99% sure has already fallen off my report (original date of delinquency was circa 2005). Here's my thoughts.... there was one or two that have fallen off that I did not pay and this is their way of saying "hey.... I see you... I know you're still out there". I'm torn to pieces about this because I fear resetting a date and having it placed back on my report. Then again, if I don't pay it, they could possibly respond to Equifax and Experian in a manner that would not result in them being removed. What should I do? I'm tempted to call them, not admit I owe anything but mention that since they did a good deed for me, I'll reciprocate by paying this old $20 copay that somehow went to collections. I don't want to hurt myself here. I've spent thousands and had tons of patience rebuilding my credit. Advice please?

Thanks so much and God Bless.

Wow, you sound like you are really on the ball with this stuff.  If I were you, I'd ignore the $20.00 guys and you won't have to worry about resetting the date.  They'll just nickle and dime you to death if  you pay them, plus you will have re-aged the account and it could legally stay on your report for 7 & 1/2 years (since you paid it, you can't claim it isn't yours later).  Check your credit report and if that account shows up, dispute it, let them know you don't think it is yours.  Remember, not every account will show up on all three bureaus.  The data furnisher (i.e. creditor or collector) makes the decision on which bureau(s) they will report to, so it is not unusual to have more accounts on one bureau than another.  Keep up the good work!