Question

Pusgnia

Pay the collection agency or the original creditor?
I received a written notice from a collection agency stating they're willing to accept 50% of the balance due to settle my account. Once paid, their records will reflect the status of my account with the collection agency as closed as settled.
My credit report has yet to show that this account is in collection. I would like to avoid any derogatory remark. Is it possible to negotiate with the collection agency on this, or am I better off paying the full amount to the original creditor, in order to avoid the negative strike on my credit report?

How old is the debt?  Are you 100% sure they're not on any 3-credit bureau's?  If it's still within where the collection agency can sue you I would get it in writing you'll agree to pay IF they will delete the "tradeline".  Paid collection is still negative no matter what.  If the OC won't accept payment (which would be better) negotiate with the collection agency.  Now if it's out of SOL and it would technically fall off from your report (7 years after the first date of delinquency, not major) then I would consider leaving it alone unless you are applying for a mortgage loan.