Question

danibanani

Pay or don't old medical bill to help my credit.
I have a medical bill from 2008/2009 that couldn't afford to pay at the time. How can I see if it effecting my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Check your state statutes.

How to handle this depends a bit on how it is standing right now and the statute of limitations for your state.  If you have been receiving notices or calls then the debt likely has a negative impact on your credit score.  Do a Google search on "statute of limitations for debts" and see what the limit is for your state.  If the debt is at, or past the statute of limitations, then it is non collectable.  If it is still within the limits, then it might be a good idea to see about making payment arrangements.

Get your credit reports and see if this debt is even listed.  Many credit reports tell when the debtis due to fall off, which is usually 7 years from the date of last activity. 

Due to the high cost of medical care and the fact that many people do not have medical insurance (some is really expensive) many lenders disregard medical bills when determining if they should grant credit or not.

danibanani

Thank you. I don't see it listed, but I will look into it.

If you don't see it listed on your credit report, it likely no longer exists.  Don't go looking into it, just let it ride.  It's entirely possible the medical facility turned it into their financial aid department who paid it off for you when they determined you couldn't afford it.  Many hospitals have a financial aid program, but it's not widely advertised.