Question

Sammydlc

Pay off one card off or reduce balance on 2 credit cards?
I have 2 credit cards with high rates.
1st 2K balance
2nd 1K balance

I have 2K in cash to pay either one or reduce both. Should d I pay off my 2K first or the 1K and lower my 2K blance in half? I need to increase my credit score soon.

Most Helpful Response

Card Payoff

I am assuming that they are both maxed out. When your cards are at or near their limits it has an impact on your credit score. Your utilization which would be 100% on both of these also has a very high impact on your score. Personally I would pay the $1K card off and put the additional $1K on the 2K card. That will reduct your utilization to 33% and also drop both cards off the "almost maxed" list. This should help your score in the near term. Try to get that 2K card to 20% utilization ($400 balance) as soon as you can. That will help too. Best of luck to you!