Question

xboxhaxorz

Pay off old military overpayment DFAS debt or wait
So i had received a letter about 2 yrs after i was given the overpayment and it was spent. The letter stated i had 30 dys to pay. No way i could get $5000 that quick. So it went to collections. I called the company to settle or setup payments and they said they would only accept payments. However it would be reported as an unpaid debt until it was paid in full, so no incentive for me there. It has been 3 yrs. The only 2 problems with my credit is the debt and late payments, i dont know why it is saying late payments if the debt is unpaid.

I was thinking now that i should take advantage of the 0% balance transfer through my CC and pay off the debt, but through my research it may not just eliminate the debt as if it never happened and will just show that it was paid in full. I personally do not think that is worth it. But hence my post, i felt advice would be great in this situation.

That is a debt to the US Government, so it likely will not fall off like any other debt.  It is reporting as late payments because you were given 30 days to repay and you didn't.  Start making payments to get this cleared up so you can move on.

Well i will pay it then, however i wanted to know if i could do a pay for delete option, if its just marked as paid in full i dont know if that is really worth $5000