Question

jennabenena

Pay off Debt Collectors or Credit Cards first?
I have around $20,000 in CC debt and ALWAYS make on time payments, sometimes minimum and sometimes a bit more. I also have about $3,800 in medical bills that went to collections. Which do I pay first to best improve my score? These are the only two dings on my score but have brought me all the way down to 635. I don't know very much about this.

Always pay off collections first

Accounts in collection hurt your score more than anything else aside from bankruptcy.  Creditors generally will not even lend to someone with any collection on their report.  Your credit cards are ongoing. Collections mean that you didn't pay your bills.   

Reducing your utilizatyion on your cards will help but paying off collections will have a more significant impact.

Remember that those collection accounts can stay on your report for at up to 7 years, Paid or not, So a paid collection will have a better impact than one that they are still trying to collect  In fact just 1 account in collections can keep your score below700 until it's paid or falls off your report.

Read up on the articles and blogs on paying off old collection accounts and how to deal with "Validation" and when and how to pay off collections. .

good luck