Question

gscott102590

"Pay For Delete" Letter to Collection Agency
I have an account that was opened by mother in my name when I was 18, and it has gone into collections. I am trying to get it removed from my credit report without filing a police report, and my mother getting charged with identity theft. The account has been sold to a collection agency. I want both the initial charge off from the original creditor and the collection account removed by the collection agency. If I use, a PFD letter for the collection agency, will it also remove the initial charge off from the original creditor, or will that stay on my credit report until it falls off? If it won't be removed by a PFD letter, is there any other way to get it removed without filing a police report?

Most Helpful Response

You won't be able to do anything with the original creditor, they've sold the debt and no longer care about it, they have no reason to delete the account.  You'll just have to wait the 7 years for it to fall off.  You can try a PFD with the collection agency, but if you are claiming ID theft, you'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to convince them of that, especially without a police report, and still no guarantee they'll give a darn.  If the account is 7 years or older, then dispute it with the bureaus and tell them to delete it because it is outdated.