Question

ButtholeJones

Pay collections or pay down active accounts?
Which helps improve credit score the most?

I have some active accounts that have more being utilized of their limit than I should, and I also have some accounts in collections. I'm expecting to receive a nice bonus and I'm curious what would benefit my credit score the most: Pay down my active accounts or pay off an account in collections?

Most Helpful Response

Do some reading on PAY FOR DELETE AGREEMENTS and if you can get one of those with the collection company, get the collection removed from your reports. Remember, you want collections REMOVED not just marked as paid

paying collections can hurt your scores in the short term. paying down a high balance CC will help you sooner. if the collections are old they might not even be effecting your scores that much. if they are recent, then they hurt more.