Question

Boost630

Pay Cash for new auto or pay off all credit debt and finance vehicle?
I have a 630 credit score with no black marks except carrying too much credit card debt (Rating D). I can currently purchase a needed new vehicle with the following options:

1) Pay cash for the vehicle and continue to pay down my credit card debt.

2) Pay off all outstanding credit debt and partially finance the vehicle at a lower rate (How long will it take for the improved loan rate to kick in?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Credit scores

If your debt is all credit card debt then it will help to have a auto loan showing on your credit report. I would pay down some debt and partially finance the car.

I would buy an older model car cash ($2-4K), do not carry collision coverage, pay off cc debt with any remaining cash, transfer any remaining credit card debt to a zero percent card then pay off your credits cards before the interest kicks in (usually about 18 months).

#2

Credit card rates are usually much higher than a car loan rate, so carrying a balance on a credit card is never a good idea.  Also, auto loan debt will actually increase your credit score slightly because it is "good debt" whereas credit debt is not. 

I am assuming the amount of credit card debt you have is substantial as by not paying it off, you can pay cash for a car.  So, if I were you I would pay off the cards and partially finance the vehicle.  You may not get a great rate, but you will be building equity and helping your score for your future by ridding yourself of the bad debt.  My two cents anyway.  

Pay off credit cards first!

Simple answer, pay off the credit cards, wait a month (don't use them) and then finance the vehicle.  You need to wait a month for your credit score (credit cards report $0 balance) to improve.